Spring Term 2021 Topic
Welcome back to school!
We hope you all enjoyed a fantastic Christmas and hope that 2021 is a great year for you and your families! Many thanks for all your support during the last term; it was certainly a unique time and the children adapted to our new school routines brilliantly. They worked really hard and have made us and themselves extremely proud.
We will continue to teach a variety of different subjects in Year 6 and the children will enjoy a full and rich curriculum. We will be reading our next novel, ‘Billy The Kid, by our class author Michael Morpurgo. Following this, we will be reading ‘The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas’ by John Boyne. The children will love reading this, and it will help develop both the children’s reading and writing skills.
Here is a taster of just some of the things we will be learning:
- Classic poetry
- Persuasive writing
- Formal letter
- Balanced Argument
- Immediate recall of times tables and associated division facts
- Mental and written methods for addition and subtraction, multiplication and division
- Metric and imperial measures
- Translations and reflections
- Fractions, Decimals and percentages
- Area and perimeter
· Rivers and deserts
· Holy Week
· Celebrating the life of Mary
· Printing techniques;
· Experimenting with tone, shading, light and dark to create art.
· Digital Literacy
· Health related exercise
· World War Two and the Battle of Britain
|Design and Technology
Autumn Term 2020 Topic
After a refreshing break over the summer it’s so nice to welcome you all to the start of a new school year at St George and St Martin Catholic Academy and to Year 6! After a long time apart we are so looking forward to teaching your children in their last year at our school! We have a busy year ahead and the children have made an enthusiastic start especially in their new role as leaders of our school.
It is already clear that the children are eager to sink their teeth into all of their new learning. We will be teaching a variety of different subjects in Year 6 and the children will enjoy a full and rich curriculum that covers all the subjects in the National Curriculum. We have begun reading our first novel, ‘Kensuke’s Kingdom’, by our class author Michael Morpurgo. The children will love reading this, and it will help develop both the children’s reading and writing skills.
In Maths this term we will be learning about:
- Immediate recall of times tables and related division facts
- Mental and written methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Place value and rounding
It is clear we have an exciting term ahead!
Autumn Newsletter 2020 Year 6