Welcome back to the start of a new year at St. George & St. Martin Catholic Academy. I hope everybody has had a fun-filled, safe and happy summer! We are settling into Year 4 well and I feel very excited about the year ahead with the children. This newsletter will give you more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
This term is going to run like clockwork in Year 4 because our topic is ’Robots” which will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. We began with our Launch Day on Monday 9th September, when we joined in with lots of robot themed activities including art work, paper models, collage and decorating biscuits.
The children will learn in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum.
Here is a taster of just some of the things Year 4 will be learning...
- Newspaper articles
- Story writing
- Explanation texts
- Place Value
- Number: Addition and Subtraction
- Number: Multiplication and Division
- Measurement: Area and Perimeter
- Measurement: Time
In RE –
- Creation and the story of Abraham
- Jesus teaches us how to pray
- Plan and sequence instructions on a robot for a specific outcome.
- Design and make robots incorporating circuits to make a bulb light up.
- Position and direction using co-ordinates and mathematical language.
- Discover the history behind the creation of robots and how their purposes have developed.
- Launch robots into space.
- Art– taking inspiration from Eric Joyner and Karl Egenberger.