This term we will begin an exciting new topic called ‘Robots’ which will be taught through the Creative Curriculum. The children will learn through cross-curricular lessons which, as always, will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. Here is a taster of just a few of the exciting things we will be learning about this term:
- Chronology and origins of robots – Sequencing on a timeline
- Designing and making robots with moving parts using pneumatics
- Learning how air pressure can be used to control and produce movement
- Creating and testing electrical circuits in order to light up our model robots
- Painting robots in the style of Eric Joyner and Karl Egenberger
- Using iPads to build our own robots and program them to follow a sequence of instructions in order to achieve a specific outcome
In our exciting maths lessons we will be learning:
- Place value
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
In English lessons we will be reading a variety of texts to help us learn more about robots. We will explore different genres of writing including:
- News reports
Our new class author in Year 3 is Dick King Smith and we will enjoy reading one of his best novels ‘George Speaks’ during this term!
We will also be reading a fantastic new class novel which links really well with our robot topic. ‘The Iron Man’ written by Ted Hughes.