Summer Term Topic
Welcome back to the start of a new term at St. George & St. Martin’s Catholic Academy!
I hope everybody has had a restful and enjoyable Easter. This newsletter will give you more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
This term our topic in year 3 is The Mighty Potters! This will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. We began with our Launch Day on Friday 3rd May when we visited The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery.
The children will learn in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. More details below:
- Class author – Dick King-Smith
- Shape Poetry
- Story Writing
- Non-Chronological reports
- Number - Fractions
- Measurement - Time, mass, capacity
- Geometry – shape
- The Eucharist is a Thanksgiving to God
- Art – Clay sculpture
- Art – sketching looking at the artist Sid Kirkham
- Science – Forces and Magnets
- Science – Heating and cooling.
- Local history including SCFC and notable figures.
- Geography – Map work and co-ordinates
- Geography/history – local landscapes over time
- Creating posters in ICT using publisher/Microsoft word.
- D&T – Research, design, make and evaluate merchandise based on our topic.
Spring Term Topic
Happy new year and welcome back to the start of a new term at St. George & St. Martin’s Catholic Academy. I hope everybody has had a safe and enjoyable Christmas!
This term our topic in year 3 is Cavemen and Crafters, which will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. We began with our Launch Day on Tuesday 15th January, when we joined in with lots of prehistoric fun including artwork, role play and timeline exploration.
Here is a taster of what our curriculum will look like this term.
Class text – Stig of the Dump by Clive King.
- Story Writing
- Diary Entries
- Number - Multiplication and division
- Measurement -
- Measurement – Length and perimeter
- We listen to God’s word’s at Mass
- Art – Cave paintings
- Art – Paint/colour wash
- Science – Rocks and soils
Science – Food and nutrients
- Science - Teeth
- Science – Skeleton and muscles
- Science - Digestive system
- History - Timeline and sequencing of prehistory.
- History - Independent enquiry
- History - Comparative judgements between stone, bronze and iron age.
- History - Study of artefacts and their uses.
- Geography - Examine hill forts and how land use has changed over time.