Spring Term 2020 Topic
Welcome back to a new term in Year 2. We would like to wish you all a very Happy New Year! We hope you all had a Happy Christmas, spending time with your loved ones. After a very busy and successful Autumn Term, we are ready for another exciting term at St George and St Martin, with a lot of learning and fun along the way.
Our topic this term is ’Alive and Kicking’ which will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. This topic includes learning about our bodies, how to stay healthy through diet, exercise and hygiene.
The children will learn through a creative, cross-curricular approach, which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. Here is a taster of just some of the things that we will be learning…
*Stories about home, school and other places that we know
* Diaries and recounts
* Stories by our class author, Julia Donaldson
* Information texts
* In addition, a large focus will be upon Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar and Vocabulary choices in writing
* multiplication and division, including solving problems,
*using the x and ÷ and = signs
*working with money
*reading the time, weight and measures.
Jesus: Teacher and Healer, Forgiveness, Lent, Easter.
*Investigating what all round good health means and the good and bad choices that we can make.
*Learning about the life of Florence Nightingale.
*Observing the work of Giuseppe Acimboldo– making faces with fruit shapes and exploring stamping with various fruits and vegetables.
*Exploring medicine both past and present– the effects and benefits.
* Learning which continents are fruit comes from.
Autumn Term 2019 Topic
Welcome back to the start of a brand new year at St George & St Martin Catholic Academy!
We are very happy to be welcoming your children into Year 2 and helping them to achieve the best of their potential throughout the year.
Our topic this term is ‘A Street Through Time’, which will be filled with lots of exciting learning about our own local area and how it has changed throughout history.
The children will learn through a creative, cross-curricular approach, which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum.
Here is a taster of just some of the things that we will be learning about throughout the Autumn Term:
- The Pottery Industry, famous people from Stoke-on-Trent and the geography of our city today.
- Comparing Stoke-on-Trent to London, both past and present, and learn about the importance of our capital city and its famous landmarks.
- Clarice Cliff and her Artwork, and then creating our own clay pots.
- The properties and uses of materials– natural and man-made.
- Stories about home, school and other places that we know.
- Stories written by our class author, Julia Donaldson. (The Smartest Giant in Town, Snail and the Whale, A squash and A squeeze)
- There will be a big focus on Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar and Vocabulary through writing in different genres.
- Reading, writing and ordering numbers to 100 and beyond
- How to solve addition and subtraction problems, using the + - and = signs
- Securing multiplication and division facts for 2s, 5s and 10s.
- Old Testament Stories—Life changing Journeys (Noah, Jonah)
- Journey to prepare our hearts to be more like Jesus (Advent).
Year 2 Autumn Term visit will be to the Black Country Living Museum on 8th October 2019.