Welcome back to the start of a brand new year at St George & St Martin Catholic Academy!
We are very happy to be welcoming your children into Year 2 and helping them to achieve the best of their potential throughout the year.
Our topic this term is ‘A Street Through Time’, which will be filled with lots of exciting learning about our own local area and how it has changed throughout history.
The children will learn through a creative, cross-curricular approach, which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum.
Here is a taster of just some of the things that we will be learning about throughout the Autumn Term:
- The Pottery Industry, famous people from Stoke-on-Trent and the geography of our city today.
- Comparing Stoke-on-Trent to London, both past and present, and learn about the importance of our capital city and its famous landmarks.
- Clarice Cliff and her Artwork, and then creating our own clay pots.
- The properties and uses of materials– natural and man-made.
- Stories about home, school and other places that we know.
- Stories written by our class author, Julia Donaldson. (The Smartest Giant in Town, Snail and the Whale, A squash and A squeeze)
- There will be a big focus on Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar and Vocabulary through writing in different genres.
- Reading, writing and ordering numbers to 100 and beyond
- How to solve addition and subtraction problems, using the + - and = signs
- Securing multiplication and division facts for 2s, 5s and 10s.
- Old Testament Stories—Life changing Journeys (Noah, Jonah)
- Journey to prepare our hearts to be more like Jesus (Advent).
Year 2 Autumn Term visit will be to the Black Country Living Museum on 8th October 2019.