Welcome back to the start of a new school year!
We hope that you had an enjoyable Summer and that Year 2 children are ready for a busy and successful final year as Key Stage one pupils.
This term, we will discover amazing things from around the world through our topic ‘Journeys’, which we launched on Tuesday 11th September. The children travelled around the United Kingdom; in Scotland we weaved tartan patterns, in Ireland we learnt an Irish jig, in Wales we drew daffodils and in England we re-enacted the story of St. George and the Dragon.
The children will continue to learn through a Creative Curriculum in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. Here are some of the activities that the children will be doing throughout the Autumn Term:
- Famous people – Ranulph Fiennnes (Arctic Explorer), Neil Armstrong (Journey to the moon)
- Map to post office to send a postcard
- Map of the UK including countries and capital cities
- History of flight—development of planes
- Forces—Pushes and Pulls—How trains, planes and boats move
- Reading stories by our Class Author—Julia Donaldson (The Smartest Giant in Town, Snail and the Whale)
- Reading The Jolly Postman and The Train Ride
- Using our English targets to write our own letters, postcards and recounts
- Understanding how to edit our writing to make it even better
- Place Value of numbers
- Addition & Subtraction
- Multiplication & Division (including 2’s, 5’s and 10’s)
- Old Testament Stories—Life changing Journeys (Noah, Jonah)
- Journey to prepare our hearts to be more like Jesus (Advent)