Spring Term 2020 Topic
Happy New Year to everybody! I hope you have all had a warm and cosy Christmas, spending time with your nearest and dearest. Here’s to a new year, hoping 2020 brings you all good health and happiness. After a very busy and successful Autumn Term, Year 1 are ready for round 2 at St George and St Martin, with a lot more fun and excitement waiting ahead. This newsletter will give you more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
Spring term is set to be fun-filled in Year 1! Our topic is ’Alive and Kicking’ which will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. This topic was launched in to action with lots of fun activities learning about our bodies, how to stay healthy through diet, exercise and hygiene.
The children will learn in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum.
Here is a taster of just some of the fun we will be having!
- Using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops to write short stories, instructions, recipes, fact files and reviews.
- Sharing texts including- Handa’s Surprise, Funny Bones and various information texts.
- In Maths- addition and subtraction problems, using the + - and = signs,working with money, reading the time, weight and measures.
- In RE- Jesus: Teacher and Healer, Forgiveness, Lent, Easter.
- Investigating what all round good health means and the good and bad choices that we can make.
- Learning about the life of Florence Nightingale.
- Observing the work of Giuseppe Arcimboldo– making faces with fruit shapes and exploring stamping with various fruits and vegetables.
- Exploring medicine both past and present– the effects and benefits.
Autumn Term 2019 Topic
Welcome back to the start of a new year at St. George & St. Martin Catholic Academy. We hope everybody has had a fun-filled, safe and happy summer! We are thoroughly looking forward to teaching a new class, getting to know your children and supporting them in making strides in their learning. Here is more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
This term is going to be very busy in Year 1! Our topic is ’A Street Through Time.’ This topic will see the children exploring houses and homes in our local area, both past and present. This will be compared to London, learning about famous people from these special places and some special events.
The children will learn in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. Here is a taster of just some of the things the Busy Bees in Year 1 will be doing!
- Using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops to write sentences to retell stories.
- Listening to and reading stories by our class author Jill Murphy and using these as a basis for writing our own stories.
- Comparing and ordering numbers, counting and writing numbers beyond 20 and tackling addition and subtraction problems.
- In RE we will learn about creation, celebrations, prayers and Advent.
- Explore maps of the local area and the UK.
- Learn about the local history of Stoke-on-Trent and how our local area has changed.
- Learn about materials and the ways that they can change, for example during cooling and heating.
- Become inspired by a range of artwork and design and make models of houses and clay pots.
Year 1 Autumn Term visit was to The Black Country Living Museum on 8th October 2019.