Welcome back to the start of a new year at St. George & St. Martin Catholic Academy. We hope everybody has had a fun-filled, safe and happy summer! We are thoroughly looking forward to teaching a new class, getting to know your children and supporting them in making strides in their learning. Here is more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
This term is going to be very busy in Year 1! Our topic is ’A Street Through Time.’ This topic will see the children exploring houses and homes in our local area, both past and present. This will be compared to London, learning about famous people from these special places and some special events.
The children will learn in cross-curricular lessons which will cover all areas of the National Curriculum. Here is a taster of just some of the things the Busy Bees in Year 1 will be doing!
- Using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops to write sentences to retell stories.
- Listening to and reading stories by our class author Jill Murphy and using these as a basis for writing our own stories.
- Comparing and ordering numbers, counting and writing numbers beyond 20 and tackling addition and subtraction problems.
- In RE we will learn about creation, celebrations, prayers and Advent.
- Explore maps of the local area and the UK.
- Learn about the local history of Stoke-on-Trent and how our local area has changed.
- Learn about materials and the ways that they can change, for example during cooling and heating.
- Become inspired by a range of artwork and design and make models of houses and clay pots.
Year 1 Autumn Term visit will be to the Black Country Living Museum on 8th October 2019.