Our topic this term is ‘Me and My World’, which will be taught through Early Years Foundation Stage areas of learning: Religious Education, Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design.
As part of our topic, we will look at ourselves, what makes us so special and unique, our families and friendships, our bodies and the world around us. We will also learn about a range of celebrations and festivals, exploring the similarities and differences between the different parts of our world.
Here are just some of the many activities that the children will be involved in during the next term:
- Learning new songs, rhymes, poems & stories about the body
- Reading stories from around the world
- Sequencing and recalling a range of traditional and topic-based stories
- Making family booklets, greetings cards and postcards
- Learning new number rhymes
- Counting in 2s linked to body parts e.g. 2 arms, 2 legs
- Measuring children’s height using everyday objects
- Adding and taking away objects
- Drawing around a child & labeling body parts
- Using ICT to draw themselves and the world around them
- Exploring senses
- Learning about celebrations around the world, leading up to and including Christmas
- Seasonal activities
- Recognising similarities/differences between themselves and others—height/hair/skin colour
- Creating: cards, food, models of people/ skeletons, creation collages etc. to develop fine & gross motor skills
In some cases, the activities will be guided by the children’s interests.
We will also be reading lots of stories and poems by our class author Giles Andreae.