After a refreshing break over the summer it’s so nice to welcome you all to the start of a new school year at St George and St Martin Catholic Academy and to Year 6! We are looking forward to teaching your children in their last year at our school! We have a busy year ahead and the children have made an enthusiastic start especially in their new roles and responsibilities as leaders of our school.
It is clear that the children are eager to sink their teeth into our new topic, ‘Battles’, where we will explore many of the significant battles through time, and will be taught through a Creative Curriculum. The children will have the opportunity to engage in a variety of cross-curricular activities, here is a taster of what they will be learning about:
- Silhouette artwork inspired by World War One
- Designing and building reconnaissance aircraft
- The Battle Of Hastings and other major battles up to World War One
- How battles have changed over time
- Developing ‘Scratch’ video games
During English this term we will be focusing on our class novel, ’War Horse’, written by our class author, Michael Morpurgo. The children will love reading this, and not only will it help develop the children’s reading skills, it will also provide an engaging stimulus to improve their writing skills. This will allow for a variety of interesting writing opportunities, as will many other elements of our exciting topic, giving us the opportunity to explore newspaper articles, letter writing, story writing, persuasive and emotional writing, and diary entries.
In Maths this term we will be learning about:
- Immediate recall of times tables and related division facts
- Mental and written methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Shape and space
It is clear we have an exciting term ahead!